Tuesday, August 10, 2004

This man writing to the New York Times blames "W" for his being unemployed.

Re "Bad News on the Job Front'' (editorial, Aug. 7): I am an unemployed music teacher who has been searching for a band director's position since 2002. I have had interviews with 17 school districts and have yet to receive an offer of employment.

To pay for my share of the monthly expenses, I teach private music lessons (feast or famine) and perform freelance (I am a trombone player). This is discouraging.

If the administration values education, it should value music education as well as academics. I want an opportunity to make a difference in students' lives.

Richard G. Williams
Larchmont, N.Y., Aug. 7, 2004


Aside from the fact that he defines his employment status by whether or not he gets a job paid for by other taxpayers, he got turned down for 17 jobs! This man doesn't have a God-given right to be a band director. He then suggests to the reader indirectly that the Bush administration is not supporting music education.

Well, I don't know about the dollars involved, but I don't think that the current Education Secretary would show his face on VH1 SAVE THE MUSIC REPORT CARD, if the administration wasn't backing up their words with dollars.

"I THINK MUSIC AND THE ARTS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED CORE SUBJECTS IN OUR NATION'S SCHOOLS. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONFLICT BETWEEN THE EXPANSION OF OUR FINE ARTS PROGRAMS, OUR MUSIC PROGRAMS AND FOCUS ON OTHER ACADEMIC PROGRAMS." - Secretary of Education Paige

No comments: