Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Since I previously posted about a decline in terrorism based on a State Department report issued earlier this year (and praising Bush policy at the same time) I am obliged to post the correction showing a rise in terrorism.

U.S. Corrects Report to Show Rise in Terrorism

That being said, the key figures are that the number of incidents only rose from 198 to 208 and the number killed (which is what I really care about) actually declined from 725 to 625. The statistic that gets much worse is the number of people injured which jumped from 2,013 to 3,646.

I guess a lot also depends how you define rise in terrorism. Is it attempted attacks or successful attacks? Does magnitude come into play? I would argue that one nuclear bomb would be more damaging than 100 suicide bombers. Et cetera.

No comments: