Tuesday, June 08, 2004

On Ice Cream Trucks and Heroes:

Mayor Bloomberg of NY apparently has proposed a new noise code that would make it illegal for Mister Softee ice cream trucks to play their music. (Listen to what the jingle sounds like here.)

I was in NY recently where I grew up and the one thing that I saw and heard that reminded me of my childhood was the Mister Softee song. Please mister mayor, don't take that away from us.

Perhaps I don't have a right to complain since I don't live there anymore, but surely there must be some kind of compromise.



UPDATE: The NY Times comes out against Mister Softee.

Meanwhile, the NY Post gives voice to pro-Softee Councilmen.

And the mayor's new plan would limit ice cream trucks to welcoming bells, not the looney Mister Softee tune that so jangles the city's nerves — particularly when the offending truck keeps cruising around the same neighborhood for hours on end.

Speaking of an ex-New Yorker, generally held to be a hero to all footbal fanatics, Bill Parcells really said something incredibly stupid yesterday:

Mr. Parcells was asked during a news conference about the approach his assistants, including quarterbacks coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, use in calling plays.

"Sean's going to have a few ... no disrespect to the Orientals, but what we call 'Jap plays.' OK? Surprise things," Mr. Parcells said.


As Howard Stern said this morning, that's like a double slur. He might as well have said no disrespect to the kikes, but I think we can "Jew down" the opposition.

Of course he apologized, but I can't imagine how drunk or high I would have to be to say something like that at a press conference.


No comments: