Friday, May 21, 2004

Nick Berg's father's 15 minutes were up. Since I can't bring myself to feel good about criticizing someone who's grieving, I will condemn The Guardian for allowing him to make a fool of himself in the press.

George Bush never looked into Nick's eyes

People ask me why I focus on putting the blame for my son's tragic and atrocious end on the Bush administration. They ask: "Don't you blame the five men who killed him?" I have answered that I blame them no more or less than the Bush administration, but I am wrong: I am sure, knowing my son, that somewhere during their association with him these men became aware of what an extraordinary man my son was. I take comfort that when they did the awful thing they did, they weren't quite as in to it as they might have been. I am sure that they came to admire him.

I am sure that the one who wielded the knife felt Nick's breath on his hand and knew that he had a real human being there. I am sure that the others looked into my son's eyes and got at least a glimmer of what the rest of the world sees. And I am sure that these murderers, for just a brief moment, did not like what they were doing.


Good grief. Yeah, just a brief moment...then they said "F**k it, off with his head...Allahu Akbar!"

No comments: