Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sony's electronic book hails new dawn for reading $350 bucks plus $8-10 for individual books. I think if this came down to the $150-200 price point and all newly published books would be available, I might consider it.



Here's a comment that doesn't affect me, but could be truly revolutionary for students of all ages - "As a student, I can't wait until I can get all of my textbooks electronically. It shoud save on space, weight, and price." I'm not sure how a student would permanently highlight key information, but I'm sure they'll think of that next.

I love the idea of the machine. I also like the idea that no one has to know what it is I'm reading - bad for advertsing through people seeing an author's book cover all over the place though. I can't imagine living in a world where I wouldn't have a room with bookcases full of things I've read though.

Personally speaking, I'd love to get a system where I could get Jewish prayers and stuff on it. Not being orthodox, I am terrified of opening up a Hebrew book in public places - especially planes, both because of the funny looks I'd get in general and maybe, just maybe I'd like to pray where I'm not comfortable wearing a yarmulke.

Another question is - when do physical libraries as we currently know them become obsolete? Anyone want to hazard a guess? 2012? 2020? MMy local library just put installed a few terminals for computerized checkouts without the librarian. Even that leaves me with a somewhat guilty feeling even though I love technology. I guess I just have a general soft spot for people who work in libraries. Don't mind it in the supermarket checkout lines though - not one bit.

No comments: