Saturday, September 30, 2006

Every once in a while when my six year old daughter gets angry, she asks me - "Who made you the boss of me?"  I just figured that's something she made up becuase it's not exactly the best way to my ears of phrasing the question and it's kind of cute.  (The answer of course is either "G-d" or Bill Cosby's "I brought you into this world and I can take you out").

Then I heard a replay this morning of Katie Couric asking Condaleeza Rice on last week's 60 Minutes, "To quote my daughter, 'Who made us the boss of them?'"

OK, so now I'm thinking not only is my daughter not the only one, but it's a thing that kids all over the country are saying.  But why?  Is their a popular movie or TV show that has that as some kind of catchphrase.  I asked my daughter and she gave me this "You're weird sometimes daddy" look.

Then I went to the internet and found another example from a Washington DC reporter participating in a roundtable discussion.

MS. CHAVEZ: And as my kids used to say, who made you the boss of me?

If anyone has any clue as to where this phrase comes from, I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me in the

By the way, Rice's response to Courics question was, "Well, it's not the matter of being the boss of them. It's speaking for people who are voiceless".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"who made you the boss of me?" - it probably comes from a cartoon the kids see early in the morning (they hear a trillion of bad sayings there from the mouths of cute little cartoon monsters babes - here in Germany till now I didn't ever heard that phrase by children - but sooner or later (probably very soon) it's coming over here, like an infecting virus & by then a million of parents have to answer that evil question..

Anonymous said...

Good for the children. Nice to hear some cartoon is helping them articulate that obvious question. But yeah, if they get too bothersome you probably should kill them like Bill Cosby said... or stop making empty hurting threats just because you don't know how to answer and instead regurgitate what you were spoonfed from society just like your daughter with the cartoon. Sorry for being so bloody unconstructive, i just needed to vent some inner discomfort.

Ta ta / Anonymous coward

Dancewater said...

Rice isn't speaking for the voiceless. She is speaking for the corporations, mostly the oil corporations.