Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I watched Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip last night. It's hard not to enjoy the quick, witty banter and sarcasm that everyone in Aaron Sorkin's world seems to be capable of. I guess the things that bothered me most were Amanda Peet's character and the usual underlying liberal philosophy.



Perhaps it's psycho-sexual, but there's something that really annoys me about a young, (supposedly) attractive woman who is given power despite (or perhaps because of) her ability to manipulate people. I assume she's supposed to be a hero based on her relationship with her a**hole boss and her can-do attitude. I can't tell, but if she is, it's going to annoy the hell out of me.

As to the liberal philosophy, I don't mind the digs against Pat Robertson which he so richly deserves, but the idea that the heroes of the show need to be drug-addicted party guys and the best way to be funny is to make fun of Christians, bothers me. The fact that the response to the crack about faithful Christians being one step away from the KKK is a violent slap in the face instead of a witty comeback shows me that Sorkin has a sudden lack of imagination in defending those he dosen't agree with. What happened to the witty banter?

If they really wanted to promote a skit as outrageous, perhaps they could have made fun of the Nation of Islam or illegal immigrants. It should be noted that I've got no problem with humor that offends conservatives, which can be seen by the SNL video I posted yesterday.

All that being said - it's a cast I love to watch - except for Amanda Peet. Hooray for Timothy Busfield!

No comments: