Sunday, March 27, 2005

Here´s some nice news from Israel - Warring sides sing a song of peace

Israeli and Palestinian singers will perform a love song in Hebrew and Arabic on each side's public radio stations on Sunday, hoping it will help inspire peacemaking after years of bloodshed.

The bilingual In My Heart, to be sung by Israeli David Broza and Palestinian Wisam Murad, will be broadcast simultaneously on the official Voice of Palestine radio and Israel's Army Radio.

"It's a big issue for Israelis to hear an Arab sing on Army Radio, and the Voice of Palestine has never before broadcast a song in Hebrew. It's a breakthrough for coexistence," Broza's media adviser, Nir Gontarz, said.


I can´t find a link to the song right now, but if I do I´ll post it.

UPDATE - Many thanks to Richard at Tikun Olam for providing a link to B´Libi with english translation as well! Todah rabah.

Honestly, I have no clue what is going on over there right now, although the signs that there are increasing tensions between the hardliners and the not-so-hardliners within both Israeli and Palestinian societies is probably a sign of peace since it means people are more focused on conflict amongst themselves than with others.

I´ve heard many jokes over the years that once Israelis lose their external enemy, their society will fall apart. I certainly hope that´s not true.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Greetings pilgrim, your search is ended (I'm dating myself by quoting that old TV ad): you'll find "B'Libi" at my site with a mostly complete English translation of the Hebrew lyrics.

Howard said...

Richard,

Thanks for the link! I´m visiting my in-laws in Argentina and can´t figure out why the volume doesn´t seem to work on their laptop. I´m dying to hear the song.

Great commentary too on your part in your post.