Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Zarq is decrying a decision by the Conservative Jewish leadership to push for the conversion of non-Jewish family members of current congregants.  My response below.

I don't think this program is quite as heinous as you suggest. To me proselytizing is going after people with no affiliation or connection to the religion whatsoever. The focus here seems to be existing (dues paying?) Jewish congregants who have chosen not to raise their children as Jews and incentivizing them to have their families learn and experience more about the religion. I could be wrong, but I believe that more non-Jewish spouses convert to Judaism as a matter of course than vice-versa.

IMHO, you probably should leave the Conservative Jewish community if you believe it's OK to marry someone not Jewish and raise your children outside the religion. That's what Reform is for. I don't mind if my Christian neighbors invite my kids over for Christmas dinner. I do mind if someone in my synagogue invites my kids over for Christmas dinner.

This doesn't mean I think these are "bad" people (and certainly their non-Jewish spouses/children are not at fault), but they're certainly not doing the Jewish community a service if they have so little regard for the religion that they put their emotional/sexual needs above their belief in the continuity of the religion. Judaism is not a religion of self-fulfillment, it is about following the laws, the bettering of the community, and the future. I would even go as far as to say that intermarrying and raising non-Jewish children is probably one of the worst things a Jew can do (biblically speaking) aside from converting out of the religion themselves.

I want to reiterate that this is not to say that I don't respect other people's religions. This has nothing to do with how or what non-Jews do.

I will agree that Conservatism is in big trouble since it has to deal with the issue of a dwindling membership to begin with.

No comments: