Saturday, December 17, 2005

Much has been said about the "War on Christmas". Whatever your stance, I hope everyone agrees that the following is ridiculous and a potential insult to Christians...I wish I had my camera.

I went to my favorite store this afternoon, Central Market in Plano, to do some food shopping. As you walk in, there's a sign that festively proclaims "8 MORE DAYS TO THE HOLIDAY"! "The Holiday?!?" It's called Christmas! Say "Happy Holidays" or "Whatever you do, this Bud's for you", but using "The Holiday" in place of what is obviously Christmas is horrible. First of all, it's obviously a made up, corporate sentiment - not something that any thinking human being would say to another. "Hey, Tony....Only 8 more days to The Holiday, bought all the presents yet?"

If I were Christian, I'd also be insulted that my holiday (you know the one celebrated by 90% of Central Market's customers) is on par with Voldemort in the pantheon of things so evil that it is not to be named.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I feel compelled to check out what they're calling it at a more typical HEB in Round Rock. (I need to go tomorrow anyway....)

I'll try to remember to check it, and try to remember to report back. :)

Anonymous said...

The HEB on Louis Henna/SH 45 in Round Rock had no signs indicating "N days to X" that I saw. (And I looked some.)

I may go to the "HEB Plus" in Round Rock on US 79 tomorrow or the next day and see if they're being sensible or not. (Putting the fish sticks next to the fish counter isn't the most obvious thing in the world, so I'm not sure just what to expect from that store....)

Howard said...

I'm definitely interested in what they have. It's funny that up here we only have a few Central Markets and no HEB anyhting.

Anonymous said...

I think they just saw the market for an upscale organic kind of grocery was going to be easier to get into there than to try to horn in on the business of Randall's, Albertson's and whatever else y'all might have there. (Kroger? It's been way too long since I've been to Richardson, 1997 or 1998, and I wasn't paying much attention to anything besides my not-at-all-thrilled-about-a-road-trip children on the Thanksgiving trip to Fort Worth.)

I didn't see anything at the HEB Plus in Round Rock yesterday. That one freaks me out a little -- there's just something WRONG about the fish sticks being in a freezer case right next to the fish counter. (I think it's some sort of experiment that they might do more of if that one and the other one work out well enough. Central Market started in Austin, I think.)