Saturday, December 17, 2005

Rudy Giuliani - "How quickly we forget."

I am hoping that the Senators who voted to block the Patriot Act revision are doing it just to score political points and that after further debate it will be reinstated. Given the additional tweaking the bill went under to address privacy concerns, I really don't know what they were thinking.

Honestly, I feel sick to my stomach that the NY Times put's it's own interest against the safety of all Americans. Aside from the fact that the "domestic spying" that was done may not have been illegal at all, the questionable timing of the article seems times to have affected the vote on the Patriot Act.

In yesterday's debate, several senators said the New York Times article showed that congressional and judicial curbs are needed on executive branch powers. Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he had been unsure Thursday night how he would vote but decided to back the filibuster after reading the Times article. Democratic Whip Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) said seven other Democrats had not been entirely sure how they would vote until
they saw the news account.


So, a report based on unnamed sources from the publisher of Jayson Blair, Judith Miller, et al. is enough for Democrats to determine our national security policy. Great. I wonder if the Times gives them free subscriptions to Times Select?

I'll make a deal with the Times and others of its ilk. If you think the Bush administration is doing something illegal or immoral and it relates to National Security - tell the Senate - right away of you want to, but don't tell everyone in the frickin' world. That to me is immorality of the highest order. Anytihng for a buck.

-------------------------------------

I've been looking the last couple of days for a photo from 9/11 that gives a good idea of where I was. My office was on the right side of the building with the red umbrella, at the height of the cap of the umbrella, on the side facing the Twin Towers. Of course a picture can't convey the feeling of shock and the boom of the explosion. It was at about this moment that we all dropped everything and evacuated the building. I'm still looking for a good icon to use for my 9/11 posts.

No comments: