Monday, July 04, 2005

One notable success in the effort to convince the people of the Middle East that America is not an evil place.

Year in U.S. shifts Muslim teens' views

"Before, I thought the Americans were like the Europeans - no religion, no moral values, taking drugs, having sex, drinking all the time," said Sirine, an earnest 17-year-old Tunisian who stayed with an Atlanta-area family. "But my opinion changed."

Hey, it's not like we don't have sex....

Seriously, this sounds like a great program. If 300 kids took part, that means a view of the real America will be transmitted to thousands of people in the Muslim world.

The exchange students' view that Americans are ignorant of world affairs doesn't surpise me. I know my in-laws in Argentina have a hard time understanding that nobody here cares about what goes on in Argentina when they care so much about the U.S. attitude towards their own country.

No comments: