Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Back in May, I wrote a post which suggested that a Palestinian-American letter writer to the NY Times was the same as a German-Palestinian protester (of whom I posted a picture chaining herself to something in order to be arrested to protest Israeli policy in the Occupied Territories). Below is a comment I received from the author of the letter to the editor.

That person in the picture above is not me. It is actually a person with the same first and last name. She is German-Palestinian, 2 years older than me, and lives in the West Bank. I on the other hand, am Palestinian-American (if you'd like to check my passport), 2 years younger than the person in the picture, and lived in Gaza. I never chained myself to anything, nor did I spend any time in any jail. There is a difference. Check your facts.


I had assumed that there couldn't be two politically active Western-based Palestinian women with what I thought was a unique name who had both visited the Occupied Territories and made an appearance in the media recently.

The only solace I have is that the post was not critical of the persons involved per se as much as it was meant to suggest that the Times prints letters from political activists before it prints letter from the common man. I still believe that to be the case.

Again, apologies to both Ms. Khayals for the mistake.

No comments: