Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Five Egyptian men with maps of the New York City subway system and video of New York landmarks have been arrested by the Joint Terrorism Task Force in Newark, N.J., ABC News has learned.

Authorities Arrest Men with NYC Maps, Video


OK, seriously, if having a few maps and a video of New York City landmarks is enough to have you arrested for being a potential terrorist, there's probably a few hundred million potential terrorists out there including myself. I think I have a Frommer's guidebook somewhere too.

That being said, if these people are in this country illegally, I say send them home no questions asked.

And since we're talking about New Jersey, that wild and crazy state:

Bill Pushed to Stop Drivers From Smoking

Ashtrays have been disappearing in cars like fins on Cadillacs, and so could smoking while driving in New Jersey, under a measure introduced in the Legislature....

Assemblyman John McKeon, a tobacco opponent whose father died of emphysema, sponsored the legislation. He cites a AAA-sponsored study on driver distractions in which the automobile association found that of 32,000 accidents linked to distraction, 1 percent were related to smoking.


Perhaps the next suggestion will be to ban children from crying in a moving vehicle. I can say with confidence, as the father of two pre-schoolers, that this is a pretty big distraction. That and the billboard for the new Twin Peaks restaurant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the next suggestion will be to ban children from crying in a moving vehicle. I can say with confidence, as the father of two pre-schoolers, that this is a pretty big distraction.

Yeah. But then they'd have to ban red lights -- what sets one of mine off is having to stop at those when he's tired and cranky.

But that's not as bad as the sudden screaming for no easily discernable reason. Especially when there's no place to pull over for more than a mile.

I don't think the smoking problem is as bad as the screaming children problem.

Howard said...

That's very funny - my oldest also used to seem to wake up from a deep sleep and cry every time we hit a red light. :-)

Luckily both girls seem to like each other and we have bucket seats in the second row of the minivan so I don't have to worry about the "she's touching my side" arguments I used to have with my sister growing up int he old '70 Buick LeSabre.

Anonymous said...

That LeSabre wasn't the "white boat" you used to try to get to 30MPH from a red light before exiting the intersection, was it Howard? Or was that the car that I left my savings passbook in the glove box for 6 months??

Erik Klein

Howard said...

Yes - it is!