Wednesday, January 05, 2005

I can't say that I've been tracking every donation in the world, but I haven't heard of any world leaders who have contributed this much from their personal funds (to say nothing of anyone in the Democratic leadership). A search for "Soros tsunami" and "'John Kerry' tsunami" in Google news didn't bring up any results.

This is both very generous and a brilliant political move since he hadn't yet been criticized for his personal giving and therefore the media cannot claim that he was "embarrassed" into giving so much. I'd even be interested in any personal gift of this size by any president for any overseas disaster relief effort. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I'd be interested to know.

Bush contributes $10,000 in personal funds for tsunami relief

On a side note, while I think that it has a worthy end, I despise the one-upmanship game that the media is playing with this charity thing. Maimonides said the second highest of the eight levels of charity is where the benefactor and the recipient do not know each other. (The only level higher is not just giving a donation, but supporting the weaker person fully until they can stand on their own.)

No comments: