Friday, January 07, 2005

Being an accountant an all, my first thought when I heard that President Bush would be donating $10,000 of his personal funds to the tsunami relief effort was this - mightn't he have been better off donating in 2004? If the tax rates are coming down in 2005, that means that he would have been able to deduct a slightly larger percentage of the donation had it been made prior to December 31st.

Well, it looks like Congress just took care of that.

New Law Allows Tsunami Contributions to be Deducted on 2004 Tax Returns

Also, a funny thing I've noticed is that in every story on "the President's donation", no matter the source, the moneys are described as coming from Bush "personally" or "from his own funds" etc.

What about Laura Bush? Isn't the president married? According to all that feminism and divorce law preaches, isn't it true that what's his is his and what's his is also hers? Shouldn't the reports say that "The President and First Lady have donated..."

My family has made a significant donation recently and even though I am the only wage-earner in the home I make sure that all my correspondence says that this donation is from Mr. & Mrs. GBAM, not just me.

No comments: