Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I agree with this.

You “Lord of the Rings” types out there will know instantly what I’m talking about here, and if I garble the details please forgive me. There’s a scene where the doddering King resists the advice offered by the noble Aragon by saying, “I’m not going to do what you suggest and risk full out war.” Aragon responds, “Whether you risk full out war or not, you’ve got it.”

Like the doddering King, yesterday John Kerry clarified his weekly inalterable stance on Iraq by proclaiming, “If we do not change course, there is the prospect of a war with no end in sight.” This is what worries me about John Kerry – does he not realize that regardless of who is President, we are in a war with no end in sight?


So, let's say we pull out of Iraq, send 100,000 extra troops to Afghanistan/Pakistan and we find and kill Osama Bin Laden. Then what? Is it supposed to be over? Will all the Islamist leaders in the world stop what they're doing and go back to being harmless teachers and doctors? Is my family supposed to be safer from attack if my community hires a few extra EMS personnel, and we let half the people at Guantanamo go on legal technicalities?

No comments: