Wednesday, March 03, 2004

After what seems like eternity of listening to both sides in the gay marriage debate, I have decided I have to take a stand (at least on my blog). The only reason that I can think of to be against gay marriage is to take the Bible literally. Aside from having sexual relations with one's wife while she is menstruating (which may be unpleasant or undesirable, but not illegal), homosexual sex is the only biblically prohibited variety that we as a society are becoming willing to embrace - and even celebrate.

Here's the bible passage from Leviticus for reference if you don't believe me:

10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.

13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

17 And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

19 And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister, nor of thy father's sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.

20 And if a man shall lie with his uncle's wife, he hath uncovered his uncle's nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.

21 And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.


All this being said, in my heart of hearts I disagree with every anti-gay marriage commentator that I've heard because their only argument against it seems to be that marriage is "defined" as being between a man and a woman, as if that definition was created by G-d and not by human beings. Adam and Eve didn't get married - they slept together (we assume) and they had children. If our society can change the primary definition of "gay" from happy to homosexual, we can certainly redefine the word marriage.

So while I am not "for" gay marriage so to speak, I can think of no real good reason to be against it. The best analogies I can think of is that my position is like those that are against abortion personally but wouldn't feel right denying it to others, or my dislike for women who wear skullcaps and prayer shawls to Jewish services - a right I wouldn't deny but wouldn't teach to my children.

If I was asked to attend or participate in a gay wedding I would do it, but I just wouldn't feel the excitement of the moment - I just wouldn't really see the point. I got married for the religious nature of the ceremony, and honestly to show the world that yes, someone would actually choose me to spend the rest of their life with. I could care less that the State gave me a license to do it. I would have done it anyway.

That being said if there is a law that says that gay marriages are illegal in a certain place and someone wants to change it, they should break the law, get arrested and prove it unconstitutional or get their local legislature to repeal the law. That's the way things work. (Maybe even throw in a Million Gay/Lesbian March in Washington for fun.)

I'm tired now. Time to go back to my hotel where I will be alone for the night. That's something that sucks for everyone, gay or straight.

No comments: