Thursday, June 08, 2006

I recently bought myself the new Motorola Q "smartphone".  For years I've been wanting to have a blackberry type device for my personal use although I never really had enough personal e-mail traffic to justify it.  Being the internet junkie that I am, I got a wireless broadband card from Verizon last year and have been dragging my 7-8 pound personal laptop with me whenever I travel.  That was getting to be a drag although the service was uniformly excellent.

So when I read the reviews of the Motorola Q and that I could have my phone, broadband internet and e-mail all in one place and that it would run on Windows software and could sync with my personal Microsoft Outlook, I just had to have it.  No more laptop, just a slim, calculator sized device to connect me to the world.  Did I mention that it also plays videos and mp3s?  With the added memory in a miniSD card (I got 1GB) it holds as much as I might ever put on an iPod.

Many reviews like this one in the NY Times have mentioned that the device is cool, but the software not so much.  This is undoubtedly true, but I'm not bothered by the extra second or two it might take to perform some functions and the extra functionality offered by other devices like the Treo are just not that necessary for me for my personal use.

I'm in love.


No comments: