Sunday, August 27, 2006

Spent most of the afternoon reading Everyman, the latest Philip Roth novel. I have to admit to never having read any of his books even though many call him America's best living novelist and all that. Also, most of his material would be of interest to me because a lot fo it has to deal with being Jewish in America.  This story doesn't, but I found it at times revelatory and frustrating at the same time.  Revelatory because for me it confirms my belief that a strong belief in G-d and a "reason" for living will help you deal better with the unavoidable tragedies of life.  Frustrating because it makes me wonder if my fellow human beings, the "everymen", really are as seemingly shallow and selfish as the main character in the book.

Sure, I enjoy reading about another man's sexual escapades as a voyeur as much as the next guy, but they make me distinctly uncomfortable as well.  The way the story (and others like it) is written make me wonder - am I the one who's not normal for wanting a stable family life and rejecting my basest desires to protect that life?  If these works are so celebrated, is it becuase they are based on "real life", and if so, is my version of life better or worse?  Or is it simply because it's enetertaining? There is of course, no definitive truth available to us, but if my wife and kids think I'm special because I'm not the "everyman" in Roth's book, I'll take that as a positive.

I do recommend this book highly.

After reading through some of the linked reviews I searched for on Nextbook, I really think I should read Portnoy's Complaint.

And one other thing.  Early in the book, the main character mentions a time in the past when prices in stores ended in .50 (not .99 as they are today).  I'm not that old, but that sounds right.  I wonder what the story is behind that change - inflation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your: "when prices in stores ended in .50 (not .99 as they are today). I'm not that old, but that sounds right. I wonder what the story is behind that change - inflation?" -
I don't think it's inflation (well maybe inflation of forthrightness) - common business greed 'know how' has gained more cleverness & changed to a higher level how to cheat people to make them believe they're not paying that much - the .50 increasing of prices was the more honest way - but the philosophy of modern business manners is to make people believe they gain, while in fact they lose..