Tuesday, August 15, 2006

After breezing through a practically non-existent security line yesterday afternoon in the DFW airport, I laughed it up watching CNN before my flight with the correspondents talking about how miserable it was at the nation's airports.  Hell, my plane even left a few minutes early. 

I wasn't laughing on the other side.

I don't know if  it was because of the added volume of checked baggage but it took an entire hour to get my bag at JFK at 10:30PM.  Then another half an hour to wait for a cab since everyone from several flights seemed to all get their luggage at the same time.  It took a little over two hours to get from the plane to the hotel.  The flight from Dallas to NY is a little over three hours.  From now on, I'm buying my toiletries at my destination.

Then again, maybe it was all f*cked up because it was NY and sometimes it's just like that.

----------

Mike Wallace's 60 minutes interview with Ahmedinejad of Iran here.  I actually heard a caller to a talk radio show Sunday night say in all seriousness that he felt a lot more comfortable criticizing Bush policy on Iran and didn't know how we could be against such an intelligent, reasonable guy as the Iranian President.

From the American Jewish Committee:

Freedom of the press is one of the golden virtues of American society, a fundamental value totally absent in Iran. But there is a line between a respected journalist and media outlet exercising that freedom and succumbing to the trap of becoming a mouthpiece for a foreign government, a dangerous adversary. In this interview, the line was obliterated by Wallace, and President Ahmedinejad owes CBS a debt of gratitude.

Anything for ratings.

-----------

I always thought that one day, Israel will withdraw from all contested terorritories and then when the Arabs strike, Israel will receive the backing of the entire international community in a final effort to defeat it's enemies and secure it's borders.  I do not believe that anymore.  If  any Israelis ever believed it, I'm sure they don't anymore either.  A lot more people are going to die in the not too distant future and I don't see any way out - the world has backed Israel into a corner.  Attacks on the civilian population in israel proper are treated as legitimate tactics and the perpetrators are rewarded, while every attack to disable and disband Hezbollah ( a legitimate armed force apparently) is treated as a war crime.

For all the worries some Americans have about "not recognizing" their own country under Bush, I'm not sure I recognize the whole world I live in under everyone else. That's why I'm willing to take a dose of castor oil (Bush) as a tonic.

-----------
A picture of Bush at the "real" CTU.  Doesn't look that much different than the set of "24" if you ask me.  It sure as hell doesn't look like my workplace.

No comments: