Wednesday, April 28, 2004

IslamOnline.net has a page devoted to debunking the myth that Islam encourages wife-beating which we seem to hear about all too often in the press. My own beliefs have begun to lean towards the idea that certain cultures within Islamic countries may tolerate this, but that it is not a trait of Islam. So in many ways I agree with the website's position (although it does get watered down to the bad acts of individuals and does not criticize any particular culture).

That being said, I figured I'd go to their "Fatwa Bank" and see if there were any scholars that had an opinion given a particular situation involving marital discord. I did find a fatwa regarding A Wife Not Interested in Sex.

As far as Islam is concerned, a woman has to respond to the call of her husband regardless whether she has interest or not. She will be punished if she goes against the will of the husband in this matter. The husband will have to help to respond by choosing the right time and way. May Allah bless you both!”

Although there is no call to physical violence, why does the man have the option of punishing the wife? And what type of "punishment" between adults is even possible without some sort of psychological if not physical damage?

And I thought being Jewish was hard because I'm supposed to pray three times a day and eat kosher. I can't imagine being born into a faith where you have to punish your wife for not "giving it up" as often as you'd like.

No comments: