Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Time for my obnoxious analogy of the day - but then again if PETA can compare animals to Holocaust victims I deserve to have my turn. What got me thinking were two unrelated articles - the first about John Ashcroft proposing legalization for illegal immigrants. (That has to do with wiping the slate clean and starting a new policy from scratch. Then there was the article about an animal-rights group who wants to prevent the homeless from receiving a gift of meat from a deer hunt. This has to do with the desire to do no harm to animals regardless of the benefits, either to other animals or human beings.

Let's say we all decided tomorrow to stop killing animals for food, clothing etc. What the hell would we do with all those millions of pigs, cows, chickens etc? Would PETA allow us to kill the one's we do have in slaughterhouses and start "fresh"? Do we have a population transfer and maybe move all the animals into Wyoming and declare it a human-free zone?

Can we do for the animals what we might do for illegal immigrants? Amnesty, then a freeze?

Just curious. I have to ask my wife - she's a PETA member.

No comments: