Monday, December 01, 2003

It's been awhile since I've posted about the upcoming parsha (Torah portion) of the week. I have truly been neglectful in my study of Torah, one of the most important mitzvahs. Shame on me.

This week's portion is Vayeitzei which begins with the story of Jacob's ladder. When Jacob awakes from his dream of ascending and descending angels he declares "G-d is in this place and I did not know it"! Jacob may not have known this until just then, but the lesson that we have taken from him is that G-d is everywhere - not just in every place, but the essence of G-d is in every thing as well. Jacob's declaration was not meant just as a recognition of his immediate surroundings as being infused with G-d's presence but was a declaration regarding the entire world.

How often do we ourselves ignore the signs of G-d's presence in the world around us?

Stop reading. Take a look around. Think of your loved ones, the feeling of satisfaction you may have after recently finishing a meal, the wonders of the modern world in which we live today.

Take time to thank G-d for everything you enjoy in life. Thanks to the vision of our forefather Jacob, there is no longer an excuse for us to ever say, "G-d is in this place and I did not know it!"

Here is a Reconstructionist D'var Torah on the same theme.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an aside, when I remember to say "Modeh Ani" in the morning when I wake up, it gives me a jolt of energy and a feeling of responsibility to "seize the day" that G-d has granted me. For those that don't know, this prayer in English translates into:

I give thanks to You, O God, eternal and living ruler,
who in mercy has returned my soul to me; great is your faithfulness.

No comments: