Thursday, October 02, 2003

I guess since this is local news for me, I have to comment on the use of the Nazi flag and playing of "Deutschland Uber Alles" at a high school football game. OK, it's not quite as sinister as it sounds, but it did kick up a minor fuss in the local press.

Honestly, I would have surely gotten a sick feeling in my stomach had I been in attendance. Of course, I never would have attended since they did this on Rosh Hashana! Ok, back to the point - I really don't think what the band director did was all that bad. I would question the use of a World War II celebration for a halftime show, but as long as the Nazi flag was shown with the other Axis Powers and winds up defeated in the end, isn't that the lesson we want to teach?

Also, I imagine that one can expect that a band director in New York City (if such a thing does actually exist) would know when Rosh Hashana comes out each year - if only because it's on the "Alternate Side of the Street" parking calendar. However, I don't expect that everyone in every town across America would have it marked on their calendars. I mean, seriously, how many of us know when Ramadan is, even with the greater publicity it's been getting in the last few years. The US even issues a stamp now for the Eid - their break-the-fast. Well there's as many Muslims as Jews in the U.S., so maybe we should know.

Between this band director, Rush Limbaugh and Arnold Schwarzenegger we could fill our newspapers with dumb, offensive thing that people do or say. Aren't there more important things going on in the world? Maybe I should think about the fact that all this is news because such great offenses are so rare - and that indeed is a good thing.

No comments: