Saturday, October 04, 2003

I could write about the horrors of the most recent suicide bombing, but what remains left to be said? Instead I will direct you to a disturbing sight closer to home. I have to say that in general I do agree with the backers of the First Amendment who say the only way to fight "bad" speech is with "good" speech - not to eliminate the right to bad speech. And I guess you can't really have laws against purely hateful speech or acts when no person or property is physically harmed. If that's so, why does it bother me so much that this type of activity is not punishable?

OK, OK, I just have to print this lovely quote from a brother of today's suicide bomber...

"They were shocked to hear she was responsible for the bombing, "but we are receiving congratulations from people," Thaher Jaradat, her younger brother said. "Why should we cry? It is like her wedding today, the happiest day for her," he said."

And I'm supposed to get upset if an Israeli soldier wants to give this man and his friends a cavity search every time they want to pass near a Jewish town? Pardon me, but I'm about to donate a gross of the longest surgical gloves I can find to the Israeli Army and see if they can't put them to good use.

I also just bought a book called "Right to Exist: A Moral Defense of Israel's Wars" by Yaacov Lozowick. I assume that it's similar in content to Alan Dershowitz' "The Case for Israel". In any case, I feel much better about myself after reading these types of books and actually become hopeful that the world would be on our side if they only knew the truth.

I now take back my comment about the surgical gloves. Can't we all just get along?

No comments: