Tuesday, September 30, 2003

This week's Torah portion is Ha'azinu where we are told that Moses will not enter the Land Of Israel as punishment for being a bad boy for not taking G-d at his word a couple of times.

Here's my question for the rabbis....given that Moses was allowed to see Israel, his real punishment was not being able to feel and walk the land. However, I assume that Moses would then be able to experience Israel via his soul once his body had been buried. What exactly was the punishment then? That he wouldn't be able to perform the mitzvot that one can only do in Israel? That he could not enjoy the Earthly pleasures of the land? Or is it these and more?

Secondly, how does that rank in the annals of punishment? I was raised to think that this was a pretty harsh move on the part of G-d. But is it worse than being swallowed up by the Earth, or plagued with boils and lice? The more I think about it, the more confused I get about the lessons we're supposed to learn other than the simple - "if you don't listen to Daddy, I'm putting you in Time Out! Permanently!"

No comments: