Wednesday, September 24, 2003

This Friday night begins Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. Since I love to cook, I've been trying to think of things to make for the holiday. Becuase I've been out of town most of this week, I started preparing earlier this week by making a honey-pumpkin cake. I couldn't help but try a piece and it came out great, and I would definitely recommend it for someone who wants a twist on the traditional honey cake.

One interesting culture clash between my Argentine wife and I. When I told her that American Jews eat honey cake for a sweet new year, she said that they don't do that in Argentina - they eat something called leikach. I never heard of that before. Turns out it's the same exact thing. Since leikach sounds like Yiddish, maybe that just shows my ignorance and lack of yiddishkeit. Here's the recipe in Spanish if you want it.

Another thing I found interesting about my time in Argentina is how Hebrew is transliterated into Spanish. The two main differences between English and Spanish is that Spanish speakers use the letter "I" for a yud and "J" for the guttural "ch" sound. Therefore, Yom Kippur becomes Iom Kipur and Pesach becomes Pesaj. G-d only knows what Hebrew looks like in Japanese or Hindi!

No comments: