Monday, September 22, 2003

So...the New York Times is supposed to be the bastion of fairness - "no bias to see here...just move along"! I know that normally people like to point out bias or opinion seeping into their news coverage of the Middle East. However, this opening line in a Business section article really disappointed me on a number of levels:

"There are few activities Sanford I. Weill, chairman and chief executive of Citigroup, likes better than watching his company's stock price."

First, is this supposed to be a statement of fact? Remember this is a news article in the Business section, not an Op-Ed piece. Second, isn't there just an undercurrent of anti-semitism when you declare that someone named Weill lists counting his money as his favorite activity?

Maybe the Times can start all of it's stories on the rich and famous in the same way. Here's a good example - maybe the Times will hire me - I think I've got their style down pat:

"There are few activities that ex-president Bill Clinton enjoys more than screwing redneck, big-haired secretaries. Yet, today, Mr. Clinton was awarded a humanitarian prize for his work with Bosnian Serbs".

Give me a break and stick with reporting the news!

No comments: