Sunday, September 28, 2003

Hope everyone is having a good Rosh Hashana. Here's another recipe for brisket with cranberries and portabello mushrooms that brought standing ovations last night. OK, maybe that's a stretch, but 5 people did a pretty good job of obliterating what was an almost 4 pound piece of meat.

Our rabbi added a very moving prayer for children before his sermon yesterday that brought me to tears. If you have children of your own (and even if you don't) I defy you not to cry when you read this. Just picture your own children who are G-d willing, healthy and happy. Then think of how most of the rest of the world's children live.

I recorded the 3-hr finale of the history of New York series on PBS and finally got around to watching part of it. I have to admit to only watching the last hour which focused on 9/11. When I have more time perhaps I'll post what I saw that day, as I think that anyone who was a witness needs to have their memories recorded for future generations. I think it's so important that we remember what we felt that day so that we never become complacent again. As far as I know the only way to generate those feelings is to "go to the video". I don't think I can put it much better than country singer Darryl Worley in "Have You Forgotten"

"They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it everyday"

I'm not saying that people should live in perpetual fear or anger...just do remember that we live in a world of good and evil and that all that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

No comments: