Thursday, October 26, 2006

I don't know comedienne Karith Foster from a hole in the wall and I never saw her name until today. I would like to tell her that her press releases show her to be an obnoxious idiot of the first order and my adopted hometown is much better off without her.

Raised in Plano, Texas ( the affluent suburb north of Dallas with the ethnic diversity of a Klan rally ), Foster indulged her performing bug by starring in her high school’s all-white production of “A Raisin in the Sun.” 

Now let's ignore the fact that an all-black production of The Diary of Anne Frank would be seen as daring and provocative and that white kids might actually learn something from delving into African-American history.

As of the 2000 census, Plano was 78% white.  That's all of 3% higher than the United States as a whole.

All this does is show that Ms. Foster lived in a primarily white neighboorhood in Plano and perhaps didn't get out much.   Whatever the case, I tired of people hearing "Plano" and assuming "White" and "Racist". 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart! What part of the words "comedy" and "comedian" are you missing?! And if you'd even considered doing your research you would know that I say "I never had any problems racially growing up, in fact my school went out of their way to promote diversity- hence my being in the 'practically' all-white version of A Raisin in the Sun"- I say "practically" to you because truth was there was one other guy who was Black who was in it. There were 1200 people in my graduating class 12 of us were Black. That has nothing to do with not getting out that was just life and it was normal. Until I moved to New York, which is the most amazing mix of culture and diverstity anywhere in the world. It's also where at least people do their research on others before calling others idiots ad making false assumptions. You are an embarrassment to MY hometown. And should really think before you blog. You probably voted for Bush, didn't you?!

Cheers,
~Karith

Howard said...

OK, maybe I was a little harsh and having a bad day.

First, I'll get out of the way that I did in fact vote for Bush, but that's because I'm the first generation in my family to go to college and have money and I don't want the government to decide where it goes. That and I saw the attacks on the World Trade Center from a few blocks away so I have very strong and emotional feelings about the terrorism threat. Sorry!

The real reason why I moved from New York where I grew up is thatI really liked those white sheets everyone wears in Plano - really keeps you cool in the summertime. That's a joke- you can use it! ;-) Actually my folks moved to Texas 20 years ago for a job transfer and I wanted to be closer to them.

All I was trying to say is that Plano is a lot more diverse now than you make it out to be (I did my research), although it is still pretty segregated. Then again if you have been living in NY you know that the sad fact that all white people get off the subway at 96th street unless they're going to a Yankees game.

It embarrasses me that others might tag me with a racist label just because I'm white and where I live, therefore your use of the Klan to describe Plano upset me - especially since I'm Jewish and they probably wouldn't want me in their neighborhood either.

I'm actually glad I made my comments not knowing that you were African-American, becuase I feel confident that my initial commentary was not racially-motivated. Besides, words on a screen don't have a racial context, whcih is what's great about the internet. What one writes is either true, or it's not.

Seriously, I wish you success in your career - NY is a tough place. Just try not to bring down those of us who just think that Plano is a nice place to live, without traffic, lots of sunshine, family and yes, neighbors who are not all alike - just like most of suburban America.

Actually, the growing influence of minorities and immigrants in suburban America might make for some good material also.

Howard

P.S. - Yes, I think Michael Richards (Kramer) is an a**hole.