Thursday, April 21, 2005

When was the last time you said - "I can feel the fetus kicking!" I guess you don't work in the liberal media. Let me explain. Or better yet, let Opinion Journal explain.....

AlterNet.org has a hilarious excerpt of an interview that the delightfully named Jennifer Nix conducted with George Lakoff, the left-wing linguistics guru who has fooled Democrats into think he invented euphemism and dysphemism (ellipsis in original):

Nix: Can you give an example of the media not understanding what's going on?

Lakoff: A producer from a National Public Radio show "On the Media" called me up recently to tell me that [a style manual] . . . many journalists around the country call on when writing their stories is dictating that journalists stop using the word fetus and replace it with the term unborn child. This producer asked me if I thought this was political, and when I said, "Of course it's political," she debated me. We've heard this phrase unborn child so much that it's physically changing our brains. Also, the word fetus has been demonized, even though it is a technical, scientific term. The right is so successfully framing this issue that a term representing a political agenda is becoming the "neutral" or "objective" word that journalists are supposed to use in their stories.

Of course, Lakoff gets it exactly backwards. As we've chronicled extensively, news organizations bend over backward to use the term fetus, often with ridiculous results. Isn't the more "political" term the one that differs from common usage? Has a pregnant woman ever said, "The fetus is kicking"? For that matter, has a woman choosing an abortion ever said, "I don't want the fetus"? Any reporter who uses the term fetus where an ordinary person would say child or baby might as well stick a pro-choice bumper sticker right underneath his byline.

1 comment:

Christina Dunigan said...

I've started bewildering prochoicers by referring to wanted unborn babies as fetuses. When my daughter was pregnant (NOT at a good time or with a good partner, but thank God I have a sweet grandbaby now.) I reported when she got her ultrasound: "There's definitely a fetus, which is good, because that means it's not a molar pregnancy, which could go cancerous. But there's only onefetus, which is good because one is plenty." You should have seen the looks the choicsters gave me! I'd also make remarks about how "She used to kick me in the ribs when she was a fetus, and now she's getting her turn!"

I got the idea from Feminists for Life. I think it was Rachel McNair that said we need to just humanize the term "fetus" by using it interchangably with "unborn baby" and "baby." If we do that persistently enough, it will no longer be possible to dehumanize the unborn baby with the word "fetus."