Saturday, April 16, 2005

A recent incident at a soccer match between Argentine and Brazilian teams brings up all the good questions about political correctness and the defense of individual integrity.

Argentine soccer player Leandro Desabato was led off the field in handcuffs two days ago and thrown into a dingy Sao Paulo jail over an alleged racist insult against a black Brazilian player made in the heat of sporting battle.


Apparently in Brazil (as well as Argentina) it is illegal to taunt someone with a racial slur. Brazil is a multi-cultural democracy with a very large Afro-Brazilian population whose position in society practically mirrors that of the African-American population. They are revered as sports and cultural heroes, yet neglected and discriminated against in the job market, housing markets, etc.

The incident occurred just before halftime in Wednesday's game between Sao Paulo and the Argentine team Quilmes in Sao Paulo's Morumbi stadium. The contest was part of the first round of the Copa Libertadores, South America's soccer championship series.

Desabato allegedly hurled a graphic slur at a Sao Paulo player who is known, like many Brazilians, by a single name, Grafite. Then Grafite shoved Desabato in the face. The referee expelled both players for fighting.


On a gut level, I believe that if someone calls you a name based on you race or religion, you should beat them to a pulp. On a theoretical level though, I believe that calling someone the "N" word or "Jew bastard" shouldn't carry any more weight that "jerk" or "motherf-----". When a person's angry they usually scream the first thing that comes to mind. To me it screams of Thought Police when you are being arrested for something that comes from deep within your subconscious. I'm the first to admit that I have prejudices, and I like to think I can keep them in check at all times tending to be a person that does not anger eagerly. However should the time come when I really need to let an insult fly and my mouth works quicker than my brain, I don't want to be put in a cell with someone who might want to make me their bitch for the night.

This part is almost funny, especially if you've been to Sao Paolo as I have..

A Sao Paulo judge ordered Desabato held on bail of about $4,000. Quilmes officials withdrew money from a Sao Paulo bank Thursday to pay Desabato's bail — but because of that giant city's notorious traffic, they could not get the money to the court until Friday.

I can't wait for the Argentina-Brazil World Cup qualifier on June 7th.

No comments: