Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I've been listening to NPR a liitle more, just to listen to something other than the Bush-bashing and whining you hear all the time on conservative talk shows.  Seriously.  (If you don't think Bush is ever criticized on talk radio, you really haven't been paying attention lately, especially since all of the immigration fuss started).

I've actually thought most of the news coverage I've heard was relatively fair, or at least not way off the mark.   Then I heard an opinion piece by Deborah Mathis, a syndicated columnist and professor at the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University regarding her thoughts on black Republicans. 

"If (Republicans) Steele, Swann, and Blackwell only look black and don't remember black...well, you might as well Al Jolson."

I'm white and I don't remember the last time I was more offended by something I heard on the radio.  I'm trying to think of a paralell to what a fellow Jew might call me becuase of my conservative beliefs, but I can't think of a similar insult.  Audio here.

No comments: