Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hey, people can write whatever they want, but I'm having a little trouble understanding the motivations of this particular novelist....



When the author switched the protagonist's politics to Nazism, he explained, it was because he "thought he had something to say from the standpoint of a Gestapo officer."


He went on: "I think I felt I could understand the animosity and hatred which a German would have for the Jews. Nobody's trying to see it from that point of view. I guess I have stuck my neck out here in a number of ways, but that's what writers are for, maybe."


He laughed and added: "I sometimes think, 'Why did I do this?' I'm delving into what can be a very sore subject for some people. But when those shadows would cross my mind, I'd say, 'They can't ask for a more sympathetic and, in a way, more loving portrait of a Nazi.' "


Hans is lovable, or at least appealing; he's in many ways the most moral and thoughtful character in the entire book......

-------------------------------------------------------------


Now read the real story about John Updike's newest novel, "Terrorist" as reported in the NY Times.

When Mr. Updike switched the protagonist's religion to Islam, he explained, it was because he "thought he had something to say from the standpoint of a terrorist."


He went on: "I think I felt I could understand the animosity and hatred which an Islamic believer would have for our system. Nobody's trying to see it from that point of view. I guess I have stuck my neck out here in a number of ways, but that's what writers are for, maybe."


He laughed and added: "I sometimes think, 'Why did I do this?' I'm delving into what can be a very sore subject for some people. But when those shadows would cross my mind, I'd say, 'They can't ask for a more sympathetic and, in a way, more loving portrait of a terrorist.' "


Ahmad is lovable, or at least appealing; he's in many ways the most moral and thoughtful character in the entire book......

No comments: