Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Amen. From Laura Bush Talks Naughty

But middle-class Americans don't simply cast ballots for Republicans. They also vote with their feet, which is why blue states and old Democratic cities are losing population to red states and Republican exurbs. People are moving there precisely because of economic reasons - more jobs, affordable houses and the lower taxes offered by Republican politicians.

They're not moving for the churches, and they don't vote for Mr. Bush simply because he reads the Bible every day.


That's me. Both times I escaped from NY, I went to red states and both times it was for the weather, cheap housing and lower taxes. My synagogue is growing by leaps and bounds (on a smaller scale than the mega-churches, but proportionally similar). No one is joining the synagogue because they thought they could find religion in Plano. This is just where people who care about religion happen to wind up now.

As I was watching the tape of the comedy stylings of Laura Bush (which can be seen here), I kept thinking that many (like Frank Rich) forget that there is a difference between an adult conversation and Howard Stern on the public airwaves as kids go off to school. If conservatives were so afraid of sex, they wouldn't be having so many kids.

For the record, I love listening to Howard Stern, and I'm happy he's going to satellite which is both less restriced and at least somewhat more difficult for smaller children to get a hold of.

No comments: