Friday, April 07, 2006

When John Kerry announced his candidacy for Presdient in September 2003, he made the following declaration:

"So my economic plan sets this goal: To get back George Bush's (lost) 3 million jobs in my first 500 days as president and we can do it."

Let's not quibble over the fact that it was really 2.6 million lost jobs at the time - "three" does sound a lot bigger than "two and a half".  Today marks what would have been the 443rd day of the Kerry presidency.  Since the day Kerry made his speech, 5.1 million jobs have been created under President Bush, 2.1 million in the last 12 months alone.  At the current rate, you can add 300-400k new jobs by the time the 500 days are up.

To those who say that other expansions have created many more jobs - that is true.  But none of them were starting from such a low unemployment rate to begin with or had to deal with the loss of a major American city.

So under Kerry he would have given us half the jobs and taken away my tax break at the same time.  No wonder I'm Republican.  I like my money and my job.

As a side note, I signed a petition to have Kinky Friedman added to the Texas governor's ballot at the Kosher Chili Cook-Off last week.  You can actually sign the petition online at his site which I didn't  relaize.  I was bummed that they didn't have any stickers or buttons to give out, but that's OK.

1 comment:

Howard said...

At the top right, there is a box that says "Sign Kinky's Petition. Click here". It's at kinkyfriedman.com.
Good luck!