Monday, April 24, 2006

Tonight and tomorrow we remember not only the victims of the Holocaust, but the heroes that fought against all odds in their desperate attempts to survive.  Many people don't know that Yom Hashoah is officially known as Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Day.

As a Jew, to be a martyr means that you die at the hands of another who would force you to renounce your beliefs (or at least be forced to commit suicide in the face of certain death, see Masada).  None of this killing yourself while you kill whoever happens to be in the way crap.

Anyway - I can't explain why, but The New England Holocaust Memorial in Boston right near Fanueil Hall always gets to me.  Its six glass columns are etched with quotes from those who experienced the evil first hand.  I hesitate to call this quote my "favorite" becuase that makes it seem as if reading it brings me some kind of joy instead of a tremendous sadness that brings tears to my eyes.  It was written by Gerda Weissman Klein.

Ilse, a childhood friend of mine
Once found a raspberry in the camp
And carried it in her pocket all day
To present to me that evening on a leaf

Imagine a world in which
Your entire possession is
One raspberry

And you give it to your friend.

No comments: