Saturday, September 03, 2005

I know, I haven't posted much. First because I've been super-busy at work. Second because I've been too depressed about what's going on in New Orleans and I think everyone's said what needs to be said (and especially what doesn't need to be said).

I wish there was something more concrete I can do without either spending more time away from my family than I already do, but I guess I'll have to settle for donating money and maybe some food or clothes over the weekend. I imagine my local Jewish Family Serivces can use some help. My donations have gone to the American Red Cross generously matched by my employer, and United Jewish Communities.

Actually my wife is upset because we got a mailer through my kids' school on behalf of JFS saying that any donations of clothes must be NEW. I understand clean, but NEW?!?

I can't wait for my trip to Argentina next month so that I can spend my time explaining why I don't think President Bush is to blame for everything. All I'm going to tell them is to think about 9/11 and the recovery of New York. Who do they think of? Rudy Giuliani, the firefighters, the policemen, maybe even Governor Pataki if they were paying close attention. Bush got the credit for Iraq but not for New York. Now he's getting the blame for New Orleans and 95% of the country can't name the mayor of New Orleans and no one's seen the local police or fire chief on the air.
Hell, I've been paying attention and I can't remember the mayor's name..I just know he's the "pissed off" guy.

Probably the best picture of how local authorities screwed up is the parking lot full of city-owned school buses about a mile or two away from the Superdome that weren't used to evacuate people from the city. Oops!



If you think that much of the mayhem is due to the fact that much of the local National Guard is in Iraq, here is a response.

If you think that the fault is the federal government's failure to provide additional funds for the levees, here is a response from the Army Corps of Engineers.

I also detest anyone, especially leaders in the black community, playing the race card. You would think that every white person in the government was a secret Klansman. As I heard one person say, "blacks are angry and whites are embarrassed". Bullshit. Everyone should be angry and embarrassed.

I equally detest any right-wing loonies who say this was an act of God brought down against abortionists and gays.

As I also read somewhere, it's not that God acted AGAINST us, it's that we haven't been working WITH Him.

Finally, as ex-President Bill Clinton said the other day - "...You and I are not in a position to make any judgment because we weren't there."

No comments: