Saturday, September 03, 2005

Anne Rice becomes the latest and perhaps most famous former New Orleans resident to blame literally everyone else in the country for what happened to her city.

Do You Know What It Means to Lose New Orleans?

And it's true: eventually, help did come. But how many times did Gov. Kathleen Blanco have to say that the situation was desperate? How many times did Mayor Ray Nagin have to call for aid? Why did America ask a city cherished by millions and excoriated by some, but ignored by no one, to fight for its own life for so long? That's my question......

But to my country I want to say this: During this crisis you failed us. You looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us. You want our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking and our music. Then when you saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak among us, you called us "Sin City," and turned your backs.


Is there any way I can make sure that my donations and tax dollars to do not go to help rebuild her home? (And I've seen it - it was very nice).

No comments: