Saturday, December 16, 2006

After speaking to a group of Rabbis in the Phoenix area, Jimmy Carter decided to write an open letter to the Jewish Community. I may still disagree with some of the points of the letter, but I appreciate the effort and it sounds a lot less harsh than some of the other statements I've read from interviews, etc.

The chairman of the group, Rabbi Andrew Straus, then suggested that I make clear to all American Jews that my use of "apartheid" does not apply to circumstances within Israel, that I acknowledge the deep concern of Israelis about the threat of terrorism and other acts of violence from some Palestinians, and that the majority of Israelis sincerely want a peaceful existence with their neighbors. The purpose of this letter is to reiterate these points.

**********
I like this idea - using the miracle of Hanukkah (oil sufficient for one day's candlelight lasting eight days) to promote energy saving fluorescent lightbulbs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Chanukkah! - "oil sufficient for one day's candlelight lasting eight days" - why does the candelabra of Hanukkah has 9 candles then instead of eight - was it that after 8 oil lasting days the 9nth day was arrived? - hm

Howard said...

Her's as good an explanation as anything else I could find...

http://www.mazornet.com/jewishcl/holidays/Chanukah/menorah-shamash.htm