Saturday, February 04, 2006

I know I've been taking a very defensive tone against Muslims around the world demanding "respect" for their religious beliefs, but I have to mention one more attempt to curtail our freedom of speech - only it's not happening in Denmark, it's here in Dallas.

Last weekend, my parents invited about a half dozen couples from their Jewish seniors group to watch a PBS specialon the Middle East, "The Roots of War: The Road to Peace" at their home. When they turned on the TV, they got a biography of John and Abigail Adams instead. No expalanation. Why?

PBS Station Nixes Show On Terrorism

Now why would they do that - did any Muslims find the content offensive? Or am I being paranoid?

"The Roots of War: The Road to Peace" was scheduled to air on KERA-TV on Sunday, January 29, but the premiere was postponed by the station's managers after a local Muslim group alleged that the program contains inaccuracies and anti-Muslim bias. The documentary's producers, Niki and Dennis McCuistion, have defended their work; they have refused to make changes.

So now we can't watch TV without making sure that every Muslim agrees with the content. After all, we all know that Muslims are incapable of threatening, killing or otherwise ruining the lives of millions of innocent people (including "liberal" Muslims) in the name of Allah. Showing anything to the contrary would be wrong and a lie.

More here.

1 comment:

Howard said...

I have, but I'm not really that angry that I'd punish them to that extent. I should write a letter though. First I would have to find an example where they felt free to broadcast something that was critical of some subset of Christians or Jews, although that shouldn't be hard to find.