Sunday, August 21, 2005

Just in case anyone is under the impression that the Palestinians are holding their fire during the disengagement (which by the way is happening faster than originally planned). You're wrong.

An IDF tank commander was lightly wounded Sunday by Palestinian gunfire in a settlement area of the Gaza Strip.

The officer was hit in the hand by a sniper, OC Southern Command Maj. Gen. Dan Harel said.

The shooting occurred between the evacuated settlements of Neveh Dekalim and Ganei Tal, said an army spokesman.

Palestinian groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad have mostly held their fire during the Israeli withdrawal.

Harel said that since the withdrawal began early Monday there had been 19 shooting incidents and 12 mortar attacks. That's far fewer than normal during the last five years of violence in Gaza. (Ed. note - how sad is that?)

The general said coordination has been "very good" with the Palestinian Authority, which governs Gaza and the West Bank.


Of course if you read yesterday's AP reports, you might be confused.

No Attacks in Gaza Pullout's First Week

1 comment:

Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

I don't get it. You raise interesting and pertinent topics and nobody responds. Are you getting a little desparate? Maybe you should try something a bit different. By the way, the same applies to me(when I'm blogging actively-usually I'm too busy).

As for your post, I heard nothing about Arab hostilities during the withdrawal from Aza. I was sitting here watching the White Sox. I've tried, lately, to get as far away from current events as possible, but your site has apparently brought me back to life. Thing is, I was fired from work today because some commi provoked me. Now I have the time to reflect on what's been going on back home. Hope to hear more.

Be'tikva, Eitan.