Saturday, February 12, 2005

I was in the local Barnes and Nobles kids section with the wife and kids and I decided to flip through Lynne Cheney's America : A Patriotic Primer which dedicates a 2-page spread to each letter of the alphabet with thems like "A is for Ameirica", "J is for Justice", etc. Having been written by the Republican Vice-Presdiden'ts wife, there are some that criticize the book as being a liitle to conservative. There is a page entitled "G is for God in whom we trust".

However, the book is filled with pictures of all races, creeds and religions and there is an "N for Native Americans who were here first" and a "T for Tolerance" page. (I guess gay advocates won't be able to complain about not being included since there is no such thing as an outwardly gay 6-year old.)

All this being said, there was one illustration that made me get all misty-eyed. I don't remember what page it's on, but first you have to keep in mind that it was not so long ago that blacks and whites were forced to drink from separate water fountains. In the book, there is a drawing with no particular comment next to it, of a small white boy lifting up a small black boy to drink from a fountain that otherwise would have been too high to reach.

I love my country. Thank you, Ms. Cheney for the brief reminder of what we're all about.

No comments: