Sunday, May 06, 2007



I'm a big Shmuley fan. "Spread Jewish Radiance" talks about the success of his Shalom in the Home series in getting non-Jews more interested in the Jewish faith.

Whether or not non-Jews decide to actively embrace the faith is entirely up to them. Even if they do not, they can still extract elements of the religion which they find healing and uplifting.

That is a great attitude to have. How much easier would all Jews' lives be if there was just a little more understanding of all those things that the observant among us do that seem so non-sensical to others, but in fact are due to thousands of years of study and debate.

I wonder how many Jews there are like myself who would love to be more observant but are afraid of the reaction that otheres might have. I can pretend to be a confident extrovert when the need arises, but if I forget to take off my yarmulke after services and I waltz into the local Kroger, I need another trip to the therapist.

No comments: