Wednesday, February 14, 2007

From President Bush's press conference today:

Q As you know, a growing number of troops are on their second, third or fourth tour in Iraq. There have been a growing number of reports about declining morale among fighting men. I spoke personally to an infantry commander -- tough guy, patriot -- who says more and more of the troops are asking, questioning what they're doing here. Does this come as a surprise to you? Are you aware of this? Is it a minority opinion, is it a growing opinion, and does it concern you?
THE PRESIDENT: I am -- what I hear from commanders is that the place where there is concern is with the family members; that our troops, who have volunteered to serve the country, are willing to go into combat multiple times, but that the concern is with the people on the home front.

Now, obviously one can find voices from the military that express discontent at the current state of things in Iraq and think that the planned surge will be useless. I also imagine that I'd be pretty upset if I had to spend so much time away from my family on life threatening missions. Then again, I'm not in the military.

In this news report, ABC News was able to find troops who wanted to be clear about their feelings regarding the anti-surge resolutions being pushed by the Democrats.



No comments: